Thursday, January 29, 2009

GROWING OLD

Psalm 71

I just turned 55 and sometimes that number feels so old. I also know people who have much higher numbers than I do. But, all that means is that we have been on this planet for that many years, and the important thing is what have we learned in that time, and what we have done with that knowledge. In other words; we learn from our past in order to live in our present.
This lesson was reflected upon by the Psalmist in Psalm 71.

5 For you have been my hope, O Sovereign LORD, my confidence since my youth.
6 From my birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother’s womb. I will ever praise you.

As we look back on our lives, we can clearly see the influence and faithfulness of God.
With confidence in that faithfulness, we can face the future and it's uncertainties.
While I grow older my view point has changed. I once looked toward the future with fear. Now I look in that direction with excitement, and hope of the times to come.

14 But as for me, I shall always have hope; I will praise you more and more.
15 My mouth will tell of your righteousness, of your salvation all day long, though I know not its measure.
16 I will come and proclaim your mighty acts, O Sovereign LORD; I will proclaim your righteousness, yours alone.

The word of God gives me this hope for the times to com and I hope it gives you the same feeling.

No comments: