Friday, January 16, 2009

HOW CAN I DO THIS GREAT WICKEDNESS......

Genesis 39: 1 – 9

As I look back, not so many years ago, we knew the difference between right and wrong, good and evil, and what was sin and what wasn't. We have started to use euphemisms for the things we do so that they will not seem so bad to others, or even to our selves. We murder our unborn children and call it choice, we call living in sexual sin an alternative lifestyle, and the words and phrases go on and on. I am sure that we can all think of many more words that we use to be politically correct, and not insult anyone, especially those involved in sin who refuse to admit it.

6 So he left in Joseph’s care everything he had; with Joseph in charge, he did not concern himself with anything except the food he ate. Now Joseph was well-built and handsome,
7 ¶ and after a while his master’s wife took notice of Joseph and said, "Come to bed with me!"
8 But he refused. "With me in charge," he told her, "my master does not concern himself with anything in the house; everything he owns he has entrusted to my care.
9 No-one is greater in this house than I am. My master has withheld nothing from me except you, because you are his wife. How then could I do such a wicked thing and sin against God?"

Who among us could hold so true to his beliefs and make such a bold statement?
Oh, I'm sure that there are many that could stand up to that temptation, but I am also sure that we would try to make the other person involved feel as if it was not such a bad thing when they tried to commit adultery.
To quote The Lone Ranger radio show;
“Return with us now to those thrilling days of yester-year”
Let's try to learn the lesson that Joseph so plainly sets out for us. We know the difference between right and wrong, and we know enough to call a spade a spade. Don't mince words and don't compromise your morals.

No comments: