Tuesday, January 27, 2009

PRAYIN' FOR YA BRO.

Luke 18: 9 – 14

I hate to admit it, but, I have participated in prayer groups.
I know that sounds a bit foolish, so let me explain. I have met with groups of men, and women to pray for ourselves and others. What begins with good intentions sometimes devolves into a group of people praying for the short comings of others while ignoring their own. In other words, we were pointing fingers at other people in hope that they wouldn't notice how bad we really are, that way we look better than those we are praying for. IE; I pray that (insert name here) will stop drinking and taking drugs. Explosive stuff, but it keeps people from hearing about you (not really you of course) visiting the local crack house.
We can also use these times of communication with the Most High God, to fill our need to gossip.
As an example; a friend has told you in strict confidence that he has planned to leave his wife, nobody know this other than you. It would be gossiping to share that information with others, so, in group prayer you begin to pray for your friend and his wife to heal the brokenness in their marriage. Now the whole congregation knows.

If we use prayer time to point out the shortcomings of others while ignoring our own, well then we are like the Pharisee in Luke 18.

11 The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector.
12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’
13 "But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, ‘God, have mercy on me, a sinner.’

Jesus told it like it was. He didn't mince his words, nor did he temper them with the political correctness that is so common today.

14 "I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

Use pray time appropriately especially when you go to the thrown alone.
Humble yourself before God.

No comments: