Wednesday, December 17, 2008

HIDE AND SEEK

1 Corinthians 2: 6 – 16


One of my favorite games to play, when I was a small lad, was hide and seek. I liked to hide, but then my insecurities would take over if I wasn't found, and I would think that everyone else was off doing really really fun things without me.

Enough with my childhood neurosis.

What I really liked was to be it. I loved the sense of the hunt, the splendid anticipation of who I would be able to find first, and maybe gain the knowledge of a new place to hide for the next time around.
As I grew older I found that I liked to untie knots. What I mean is, I liked a good mystery. I liked trying to find the secret thing before it was revealed. In the 70's, there was a great TV show about a detective named Ellery Queen. On this show there was either a murder, robbery, or some crime to be solved. Just before the end of the show, the actor, who played Ellery,would look towards the camera and say; “You have all the clues. Have you figured it out yet”? Then the show went to commercial. The anticipation of wondering if I got it right, and with the right clues not just by dumb luck, just spurred me on.

6 We do, however, speak a message of wisdom among the mature, but not the wisdom of this age or of the rulers of this age, who are coming to nothing.
7 No, we speak of God’s secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began.
Secret wisdom? How delicious! Another knot to untie, another mystery to try and solve.
As Sherlock Holmes would say; “Come Watson. The game is afoot”!

God could have revealed to us all knowledge to us at once, but, where's the fun in that. I know that for myself, if it comes easy, it just doesn't have as much value than what I have to work for. But, God chose to reveal himself gradually because he understands that about our nature, we value things more when we have to search and wait for them.

God is not playing a cruel game of hide-and-seek. He is allowing us to enjoy the process of discovering who He is and what He is up to in the universe. So don’t be discouraged over what you don’t know about God. Be excited about unwrapping all there is yet to discover.  

No comments: