Wednesday, December 3, 2008

A WIN'S A WIN


Philippians 1: 12 – 21

15 It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry, but others out of goodwill.
16 The latter do so in love, knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel.
17 The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains.
18 But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice,

I should say up front that I love sports. If there is a game on TV, I'll probably watch it, especially if it's baseball or football. In sports there is an attitude that it doesn't matter how a team ends up with a win. A win is a win, and it doesn't matter if the team wins well or wins ugly.
Winning well would be the team playing even with, or dominating the other team, while winning ugly would be a poorly played game by one or both teams.

Paul is talking about the same thing here. To him it doesn't matter how or even why the Gospel of Jesus Christ is preached, as long as the word is brought to the people. We have to remember that He is in prison for the Gospel, in Rome, and that most people thought that keeping him in chains would prevent the spread of Christianity. By that time, it was too late. The Gospel was being taught. The motive of people who brought the word may not have lined up exactly with the way Paul did it, but his only care was that the good news was taught to the people all over the world.

12 Now I want you to know, brothers, that what has happened to me has really served to advance the gospel.
13 As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guard and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ.
14 Because of my chains, most of the brothers in the Lord have been encouraged to speak the word of God more courageously and fearlessly.

When it get to the bottom line, it doesn't matter if the Pats win big, or just squeak out a victory in the last minute. It also doesn't matter why we hear bout Jesus as long as we do.

20 I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.
21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

No comments: