Tuesday, December 23, 2008

INVISIBLE?

John 14: 5 – 20


Seeing is believing. I must have heard that phrase a million times, maybe more, and I must admit I have taken it as a truth. Now comes the interesting bit. I believe in God, yet I have never seen Him. Some how these things don't seem to add up.
I know that I have felt the presence of God in my life, and have seen the changes that he has made in the lives of others. I guess what I am saying is that I, if not all of us, have the same feelings and experiences the Apostles had.

5 Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"
6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No-one comes to the Father except through me.
7 If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him."
8 Philip said, "Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us."
9 Jesus answered: "Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?


That whole seeing is believing thing just keeps raising its ugly head doesn't it?

We must remember that God is not like the “Invisible Man” from those old movies. He is not playing some great game of hide and seek, taking off his outer wrappings and disappearing from our sight.
We perceive that God is distant, far off, inaccessible, and hidden. But we need a God who is accessible, and we wonder how to have a meaningful relationship with Him.
We will never fully comprehend what God is like. Yet He Himself is accessible to us. In part, that is why Jesus came, to “show us the Father” and to bring us close to Him, because “He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation”
Our God is an invisible God, beyond our limited comprehension. Thankfully, Jesus came to show us how near to us He really is. 

No comments: