Saturday, April 4, 2009

How would you act?

Mathew 20: 20 – 28


When I was a kid, I saw one of my heroes at a gas station in my town. That man was Bill Russell of the Celtics. He stayed in his car with whom I assumed was his wife. As I knocked on the window of his car, he waved me off. After knocking once again, he lowered the window a crack and said to me;
“F#@%& off kid.”.
The disappointment I felt was also felt by my friends who were with me at the time.
Since that time, I have met and talked with many celebrities. Not that I have sought them out, but when I hung out in Boston, there they were. I got every type of reaction from these famous people from what Bill Russell gave me, to pleasant conversations.
Then I met Jesus, and nothing has been the same.
When I first met Him, he offered love and comfort. He taught me that in order to lead, I must first learn to serve.

25 Jesus called them together and said, "You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their high officials exercise authority over them.
26 Not so with you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant,
27 and whoever wants to be first must be your slave—
28 just as the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many."

That's what I call humility and service. How many of us can live up to that requirement? Yet we should.
That whole “get out of your comfort zone” thing raises it's ugly head again. It really bugs me when the word of God challenges me.
I want to be like one of the “rulers of the Gentiles”. It seems that they had a pretty good gig. But, the Bible tells us that we can't be, which really gets me.
I know that I am being repetitive, but in the word of God, if something is repeated, God wants us to pay attention to it. It's important to Him.
So getting my way is important too me. But it's not important to God.
Serve we must. Get out there and find the point of service that suits you the best. Find something that really challenges you.
That way when some kid sees you and knocks on your car window, you can open it and say;
“Hi kid. What can I do for you”?

No comments: