Monday, April 6, 2009

NOTHING LEFT

2 Chronicles 20: 3 – 17


I don't know about you, but I've been to the bottom. That place where we have nothing left. We are emotionally, morally, and financially bankrupt. The only thing we have left is God.
If we have nothing but God, where does that leave us?
It leaves us victorious!

9 ‘If calamity comes upon us, whether the sword of judgment, or plague or famine, we will stand in your presence before this temple that bears your Name and will cry out to you in our distress, and you will hear us and save us.’

Praise God! When we come to the point where we surrender our will to Him and learn to fully rely on Him, when we cry out to Him in our distress, He will answer.
As it says in Psalm 107:

13 Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress.
14 He brought them out of darkness and the deepest gloom and broke away their chains.
15 Let them give thanks to the LORD for his unfailing love and his wonderful deeds for men,
16 for he breaks down gates of bronze and cuts through bars of iron.

I was there one night in July of 1990. I sat on the corner of my bed, alone, because I drove everybody from my life. I had just lost my last job and addiction had taken it's toll. I had nothing. Not even God at that point. I didn't know who He was, but at the bottom of the well that I found myself in,
I cried out to Him.
“Dear Lord”. “Please help me”!

17 You will not have to fight this battle. Take up your positions; stand firm and see the deliverance the LORD will give you, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged. Go out to face them tomorrow, and the LORD will be with you.’"

I had never read the Bible at this point in my life, and had no knowledge of that particular verse. All I knew was that I had tried everything that I had thought of and lost at every turn. I had nothing in my life but failure. In this frame of mind, I gave up. I surrendered and gave my self to a higher power that I didn't know. And, I decided to follow His lead because it had to be better than what I had done so far.

When we all get to that place where we have lost everything, we can't rely on ourselves,because we brought ourselves to that place, we are forced to call out to God, who can bring us out.

The old spiritual goes:
Be still,
God will fight your battles.

When the people of Israel went before God and pleaded to him for deliverance, God told them that all they had to do is stand strong as they went to the battlefield.
As they marched on their enemy, King Jehoshaphat lead them in this simple chorus;

Give thanks to the Lord. For He is good. His love endures forever!

Upon hearing the nation of Israel singing in one voice, their enemy was thrown into confusion, and God delivered victory.

He'll do the same for us.

No comments: