Thursday, August 20, 2009

I KNOW WHAT I KNOW AND THAT'S ALL THAT I KNOW

Ephesians 3: 14 – 21


20 God can do anything, you know—far more than you could ever imagine or guess or request in your wildest dreams! He does it not by pushing us around but by working within us, his Spirit deeply and gently within us.
21 Glory to God in the church! Glory to God in the Messiah, in Jesus! Glory down all the generations! Glory through all millennia! Oh, yes!

Do you know that this is true?
Do you feel the presence of the Holy Spirit within you?

Borrowing from ODB, I think of, “The Little Engine That Could.”
Remember that story?
At first he couldn't, then he thought that he might, then, finally, he knew that he could.
I felt like that little train when I first came to know the Lord. I was convinced that what I was about to do was foolishness. I saw those crazy church ladies on the Boston Common yelling at passers by that they should repent or go to hell. I didn't want to be like that.
As I began to read the word and “experiment” with the beliefs of my Grandmother, I thought that it was too much. There was no way that I could live up to what was required.
But, then again, maybe I could just dabble around the edges of this odd little faith.
Then one day, beyond what I could do.
Boy Howdy!
The Holy Spirit began a work in me, and I knew.
That's the only way that I can explain it.
I knew.
Suddenly God's word jumped from the page of the Bible I once found boring, I knew that there really was a Savior named Jesus, and he wanted to be with me. I knew that God loved me.
It had nothing to do with me.
I knew that there was no way that I could come to believe. But, with God I can do anything.
Today I know what I know.

Do you know?

No comments: