Thursday, August 27, 2009

'TIL OUR DADDY TAKES THE T-BIRD AWAY!

2 Samuel 6: 12 – 23


I love to have a good time. Always have.
How about you?
If not, why not?
God wants us to have fun, He designed us that way.
The way that I have a fun time is to hang with my family. For example, every year on Christmas, we go to my cousin Marilyn's house for dinner. After we eat and the table is clear, we play games. It doesn't matter heat the game is, we just have fun. My stepson Steven becomes the game show host, (lately he calls on his inner Howie Mandel) and we play and laugh for hours until it's time to go home.
That's just one of the ways that I have fun. I wouldn't change those days for anything.
If the government made it illegal, I am sure that all of us would find some way to have a good time.
It's in our nature.
And, I don't care what other people think about how I behave when I am celebrating the joy of my life.
Even King David was willing to sacrifice his dignity to be able to rejoice in the presence of God.

14 David, ceremonially dressed in priest’s linen, danced with great abandon before GOD.
15 The whole country was with him as he accompanied the Chest of GOD with shouts and trumpet blasts.

As the song goes, “Every party has a Pooper”..

16 But as the Chest of GOD came into the City of David, Michal, Saul’s daughter, happened to be looking out a window. When she saw King David leaping and dancing before GOD, her heart filled with scorn.
20 ¶ David returned home to bless his family. Michal, Saul’s daughter, came out to greet him: "How wonderfully the king has distinguished himself today—exposing himself to the eyes of the servants’ maids like some burlesque street dancer!"

But nothing was going to dampen the joy David felt for God, not even the scorn of his wife.

21 David replied to Michal, "In GOD’s presence I’ll dance all I want! He chose me over your father and the rest of our family and made me prince over GOD’s people, over Israel. Oh yes, I’ll dance to GOD’s glory
22 —more recklessly even than this. And as far as I’m concerned…I’ll gladly look like a fool…but among these maids you’re so worried about, I’ll be honored no end."

That's what I call a good time.
To me, David has given us an example of letting go. Letting go of all the cares that were in his heart and just basking in the presence and dancing for joy in the sight of God.
I know that I want to rejoice like that and hope that I do.
How about you?

No comments: