Thursday, August 6, 2009

I'M OKAY. YOU? NOT SO MUCH.

Galatians 6: 1 – 5



I have this friend, that I haven't seen in a year or so, who never really left the hippie stage of life. He's Mr. natural. Everything about him tells you that he is a child of the earth from the way he dresses, talks to you constantly using phrases like groovy, far out, righteous man, and he is kind of a tree hugger. Another thing that shows his hippieness is his refusal to use perfumes or colognes because of animal testing. Apparently deodorants are on the banned list too. There were times that he was so ripe, that I had to keep my distance.
My problem was, I didn't know how to confront his offensiveness. I love the guy and didn't want to embarrass him.
What's a Po' boy to do?

1 Live creatively, friends. If someone falls into sin, forgivingly restore him, saving your critical comments for yourself. You might be needing forgiveness before the day’s out.
2 Stoop down and reach out to those who are oppressed. Share their burdens, and so complete Christ’s law.

Errr, does that mean I have to invite him to a community shower to teach him the benefits of soap?
Growing up together, I know that he had at least a working knowledge of personal hygiene.
All kidding aside, I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has run into a problem like this.
There is always someone who crosses our path that needs a talking to about how they are or what they are doing. However, we do have to be careful of that whole log in the eye thing.

3 If you think you are too good for that, you are badly deceived.
4 Make a careful exploration of who you are and the work you have been given, and then sink yourself into that. Don’t be impressed with yourself. Don’t compare yourself with others.
5 Each of you must take responsibility for doing the creative best you can with your own life.

Guess that means to use the “truth in love” that we have all heard about, walk beside them, and love on them until they are able to walk on their own once again.
TAKE A SHOWER HIPPIE!
Not really the way to go.
It takes guts to confront a friend and it takes strength to help them back to the right road.

No comments: