Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A MARATHON, NOT A SPRINT

Philippians 3: 12 – 21


13 Friends, don’t get me wrong: By no means do I count myself an expert in all of this, but I’ve got my eye on the goal, where God is beckoning us onward—to Jesus.
14 I’m off and running, and I’m not turning back.

I've been sitting here trying to figure how I'm going to relate the whole run the race thing. Every time I have read this passage before I picture an Olympic stadium and guys like Michael Johnson running the 100 or 200 meters on the ¼ mile track, all gold Nike's and blinding speed. I'm talking trained to perfection athletes who are focused on breaking the tape at the finish line.
But, today, after reading the Message translation, I began to picture (Boston Billy) Bill Rogers the skinny little guy who dominated the Boston Marathon in the 70's.
He looked like a regular guy, not some steroid built muscular freak of nature. But, what he had made all the difference that set him apart from other people.
Billy knew his target, and once he left the starting line, he never looked back..

18 There are many out there taking other paths, choosing other goals, and trying to get you to go along with them. I’ve warned you of them many times; sadly, I’m having to do it again. All they want is easy street. They hate Christ’s Cross.
19 But easy street is a dead-end street. Those who live there make their bellies their gods; belches are their praise; all they can think of is their appetites.

I can't even count the different paths that I have run, looking to finish on “Easy St.” That was before I discovered my faith. Then I was given a map with a clearly defined route and a goal to attain.
No more running around all Willy Nilly searching for the road that will lead me to “Nirvana.”

As Satchel Paige used to say, “Don't look back. They might be gaining on you.”
So find the right marathon course, and go for it.
Remember life is not a sprint.

No comments: