Thursday, September 17, 2009

THINK ABOUT IT

2 Corinthians 10: 1 – 11



wil sumbody plez help me? I losed my brane wen I get Chrijen.

Throughout history, those of us whom have chosen to follow God are branded as week minded at best, ignorant fools, and just plain stupid.
Examples of this rally around the whole creation Vs. evolution debate. Evolutionist are painted as free thinking intellectuals and creationists are imbued with claims of being ignorant, fearful, Luddites stomping out any kind of progress.
We are accused of hypocrisy being one way in public and another way in private.
The saying, “Street angel, House devil,” is used by atheists and agnostic alike.
Paul faced that sort of scrutiny.

1 ¶ And now a personal but most urgent matter; I write in the gentle but firm spirit of Christ. I hear that I’m being painted as cringing and wishy-washy when I’m with you, but harsh and demanding when at a safe distance writing letters.
2 Please don’t force me to take a hard line when I’m present with you. Don’t think that I’ll hesitate a single minute to stand up to those who say I’m an unprincipled opportunist. Then they’ll have to eat their words.

He also knew, and wrote of, how the rest of the world looks at us.

3 The world is unprincipled. It’s dog-eat-dog out there! The world doesn’t fight fair. But we don’t live or fight our battles that way—never have and never will.
5 We use our powerful God-tools for smashing warped philosophies, tearing down barriers erected against the truth of God, fitting every loose thought and emotion and impulse into the structure of life shaped by Christ.

I read in ODB today;

David McCullough’s biography of John Adams, one of America’s founding fathers and early presidents, describes him as “both a devout Christian and an independent thinker, and he saw no conflict in that.” I am struck by that statement, for it carries a note of surprise, suggesting that Christians are somehow naive or unenlightened, and that the idea of a “thinking Christian” is a contradiction.
Nothing could be further from the truth. One of the great benefits of salvation is that it causes the believer’s mind to be guarded by the peace of God (Phil. 4:7), which can foster clear thinking, discernment, and wisdom.

Get out there and show people that we are not of two minds.
Defend your beliefs (you have the ability, even if you don't think so)

No comments: