Tuesday, September 15, 2009

GIVING IT ALL UP

Philippians 3: 3 – 12



There is an expression in twelve step recovery programs that goes, “Let go, and let God.”
Basically it means that we have to let go of all the things and ideas from our past, give all that junk to God, and let Him teach you a new way of life.
For some people in recovery it is a slow process while for others it happens in the blink of an eye.
The people that have the slow experience are afraid to completely give up what they relied on for their whole lives and as soon as they claim to turn everything over to God, they take it right back.
For those with the instant experience, the lesson is so profound that they are able to give up the old way of life and not look back.

8 Yes, all the things I once thought were so important are gone from my life. Compared to the high privilege of knowing Christ Jesus as my Master, firsthand, everything I once thought I had going for me is insignificant—dog dung. I’ve dumped it all in the trash so that I could embrace Christ
9 and be embraced by him. I didn’t want some petty, inferior brand of righteousness that comes from keeping a list of rules when I could get the robust kind that comes from trusting Christ—God’s righteousness.

We all know of the experience Paul had on the road to Damascus.
Don't you wish that your clearing out process was that quick?
I know that I was one of the slow ones in both recovery and coming to know God. I just couldn't let go of the life I had known for all my adult life. It was the only way I knew and I was reluctant to give up my coping skills.
But when I finally did, Boy Howdy, my life really changed for the better.

4 even though we can list what many might think are impressive credentials. You know my pedigree:
5 a legitimate birth, circumcised on the eighth day; an Israelite from the elite tribe of Benjamin; a strict and devout adherent to God’s law;
6 a fiery defender of the purity of my religion, even to the point of persecuting Christians; a meticulous observer of everything set down in God’s law Book.
7 The very credentials these people are waving around as something special, I’m tearing up and throwing out with the trash—along with everything else I used to take credit for. And why? Because of Christ.
10 I gave up all that inferior stuff so I could know Christ personally, experience his resurrection power, be a partner in his suffering, and go all the way with him to death itself.
11 If there was any way to get in on the resurrection from the dead, I wanted to do it.
12 I’m not saying that I have this all together, that I have it made. But I am well on my way, reaching out for Christ, who has so wondrously reached out for me.

I like the fact that Paul admits that he doesn't have it all together. And, if we claim that we do, we're lying not only to others but to ourselves.
When I once told my twelve step sponsor that all I wanted was to get my crap together, then everything would be alright.
His wise reply was, If I was really able to get my stuff together, all I could do with it would be to show it to other people and say, “Here's my crap.” “Ain't it cool?”
All I know is, if Paul couldn't do it, I guess that I'm in good company.

Let go and let God.
Enjoy the ride.
It's worth it and it's really kind of a hoot.

No comments: