Monday, September 14, 2009

FROM FATHER TO SON

Deuteronomy 6: 4 – 9



There are many families that pass on from one generation to the next something that holds sentimental value. Sometimes that value is real (just watch antiques roadshow), sometimes it is just something that was of importance to the family.
An example of this is; My father gave me a watch that was very important to him. It isn't anything special just a watch that was presented to him as a gift. He treasured that watch and wore it almost every day. I have had the pleasure of passing it on to my oldest stepson. My hope is that one day, he will pass it on to the next generation.
Whenever I wore that watch, I thought of my father, what a good guy he was, and how much I love him. I think that is the reason that Moses wrote about passing the word from one generation to the next.
People remember what is given them in love from their fore fathers.

4 Attention, Israel! GOD, our God! GOD the one and only!
5 Love GOD, your God, with your whole heart: love him with all that’s in you, love him with all you’ve got!
6 Write these commandments that I’ve given you today on your hearts. Get them inside of you
7 and then get them inside your children. Talk about them wherever you are, sitting at home or walking in the street; talk about them from the time you get up in the morning to when you fall into bed at night.
8 Tie them on your hands and foreheads as a reminder;
9 inscribe them on the doorposts of your homes and on your city gates.

As with that watch, I am also trying to pass on to my stepsons, the love I have for god. That's one of the reasons that I write this teaching, to pass on the word of God as I see it, in hopes that they will keep the word with them in their hearts.
I'm sure that we all have something that we will pass on to our children. It really doesn't matter what the worldly value is, as long as it has value to your heart.

Pass the word on.

No comments: