Monday, February 23, 2009

CONVERSION

Mark 4: 26 – 29



I have a question for you. How many of you had a kind of Paul on the road to Damascus conversion? What I mean is, when you came to know the Lord, was it quickly, or did a friend or co-worker, or even both, talk to you about their faith and relationship with God before you became interested enough to start to ask questions on your own?
Most people will tell you that even though they made their decision to follow Jesus at one event or church service, it was at the end of a long road of others working with them along the way. I know for myself, I came to be a Christian in a flash, but the build up was long in coming. I had a friend and who helped me through a period of time when I needed it, as I said that I was experimenting with my Christianity. Then one day it hit me in the head that God was alive and well, and that he had relevance in my life today.
Jesus was teaching us about this in the book of Mark. He knew how we behave, and He knew that we usually don't make decisions quickly. So he wrote the parable of the harvest.

26 He also said, "This is what the kingdom of God is like. A man scatters seed on the ground.
27 Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how.
28 All by itself the soil produces corn—first the stalk, then the ear, then the full grain in the ear.
29 As soon as the grain is ripe, he puts the sickle to it, because the harvest has come."

As a people. We act the same yesterday and today. Jesus knew this and that is why he taught us this about coming to know the Father and entering His kingdom. We tend to make the same mistakes over and over again, and it takes time for us to realize this, it is rare that we learn our lessons quickly.
Because people may need time and multiple exposures to the gospel before they are ready to make a decision, we need to be sensitive to where they are in their faith-journey. In the meantime, we can cultivate spiritual interest, pray for them, and wait for the harvest!

No comments: