Wednesday, February 11, 2009

HUMILITY

Psalm 131


The path to humility is twofold. It involves knowing who we are, that is, having a proper self-esteem rather than thinking too highly of self. But most important, it requires knowing who God is, holding Him in highest esteem and trusting Him for His best in His time.
David was being accused of treason, and bragging that he was better than Saul the King. But, in this Psalm he is stating the opposite.

1 A song of ascents. Of David. My heart is not proud, O LORD, my eyes are not haughty; I do not concern myself with great matters or things too wonderful for me.
2 But I have stilled and quietened my soul; like a weaned child with its mother, like a weaned child is my soul within me.
3 O Israel, put your hope in the LORD both now and for evermore.

We know that David wasn't boasting about his humility, but is saying that he is like a weaned child, vulnerable and dependent on God for everything he needs.

We all need to be so dependent.
We need to all learn to count on God for everything.

No comments: