Saturday, February 21, 2009

DO UNTO OTHERS

Luke 6: 26 – 37


Vengeance is a dish best served cold. At one time I loved that old Klingon saying. I still think it's cool in the context of a Star Trek movie. The problem is that we can see it in action every day. There is also an old human saying; “We do the oldest of sins in the newest of ways. When we compare the two sayings, they kinda go hand in hand. Jesus tells us that we are to do unto others as we would have them do unto us.

27 "But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,
28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who ill-treat you.
31 Do to others as you would have them do to you.
32 "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ love those who love them.
33 And if you do good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even ‘sinners’ do that.

Sorta takes the fun out of vengeance thing. So what this says is that if we do act in these ways, we are no different than others. We are supposed to be set apart, and to act that way to be a light for others.
As I've written in the past, I find it hard to do when the Bible stretches me out of my comfort zone. This is one of those times. I used to love to retaliate for perceived wrongs, be cause sometime I would make up and insult so that I could get even. But, in doing so, I do not separate myself as a Christian no matter what I call my self. There's another old saying “ Just because you live in a garage, it doesn't mean you're a Cadillac”.

No comments: