Thursday, February 19, 2009

RAIN DROPS KEEP FALLIN' ON MY HEAD

Psalm 42


I once hears said that if it were truly raining cats and dogs, there would be kettles full of kittens and puddles full of poodles. That said it is pouring out this morning. So much so that the TV is out and it is going to makes some peoples commute to work a lot longer than usual. These things tend to aggravate us, and take our minds off of things and focus on the trouble that we are having at the moment, like being stuck in traffic, or getting our clothes soaked waiting for a bus or train. At some point during a day like this, we are going to feel miserable.
Days like this make us feel as if winter is never going to end, but, if we think about it, at least we have God with us to bring us comfort.
I think of Mr. Tumnus, from the Chronicles of Narnia, when he said; “ It's always winter, but there is never any Christmas”.
To me that's a scary thought. To be in misery and have no hope. To be lost and have no compass. To be in darkness and have no candle.
Well, David wrote about things like this in the Psalms, and 42 is a good example of this.


2 My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?
3 My tears have been my food day and night, while men say to me all day long, "Where is your God?"
5 Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Saviour and
6 my God. My soul is downcast within me; therefore I will remember you from the land of the Jordan, the heights of Hermon—from Mount Mizar.

So as we suffer days like today and while others mock us for our faith, we just have to turn to God for our comfort and salvation.

No comments: