Friday, February 27, 2009

IT'S NOT THE CONVERSATION...

Psalm 23



It's not the conversation, it's the company.
I like that phrase, it is full of deeper meaning. Some times all we need to do, is be there and be quiet.
It always seems that when we get together with the ones we love, all we do is yap.
Did you ever think about how much time we spend talking?
In what we like to call our “quiet time” with God, we usually fill in any silence with our prayers. But do we ever practice just being “still”?

Ps 46:10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

This is what the Bible tells us to do with God. Be still, not be in active conversation.
There are times when all we have to do is bask in His presence, to feel the Holy Spirit cover us, and just be with God. It is amazing the encouragement, comfort, and peace we can feel when we do this.
( I have to admit that there are times when I am practicing this kind of worship, I have fallen asleep. )
Now, God has given us a vision of what it's like to just be still with Him.

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside still waters,
3 he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.

He restores my soul.
Mmmm! How sweet the sound.
I long to have my soul restored every day. I want to lie down by those still waters in that green pasture.
If we were to do that, find a quiet piece of grass near a slow flowing river, when we laid down, how many of would would begin talking away?
I am hopeful that the answer would be not one of us would just begin talking, and that we would just enjoy the moment.
Enjoy the moments we spend with each other, and enjoy the moments we have in the presence of the Lord.
The Bible tells us to be still. Jesus calls us to His presence to be still.

It's not the conversation, it's the company.

No comments: