Saturday, November 8, 2008

HEROES



1 Corinthians 1: 18 – 31

When I was a teenager, I played the drums. To be truthful, I played them into my early thirties. I loved the sound different drums produced, the rhythm that came from them that held up and drove the rest of the music was amazing. Now if I am to be completely truthful, I wasn't very good. Oh, I could hold my own, I played with a few bands and thought that I would make it as a musician one day, but that was a drug fueled illusion.
But, the point here is that I had a hero who played the drums like no one I ever heard before or since, Buddy Rich. I bought his records listening to every nuance and break while I tried to copy his technique. Every time he was on TV, I would watch focusing on his hands to see if there was something he did that I could do.

HE WAS THE BEST!

One day, I saw in the paper that Buddy was coming to Boston with his quartet, rather than his Big Band, to play in the “Intimate” surroundings of Paul's Mall. I bought tickets and was the first one in line to get in. when Buddy and his band took the stage, I was amazed at how old he was. Gone was the vital man I saw on TV and album covers and in his place was a skinny, frail, old man, who had trouble keeping up with the tempo of the rest of the quartet.
After the show, I saw him at the bar, drunk and pounding down drinks.
My hero was gone.
But his legend remained. I would still listen to his records, but with a different ear. Buddy was not some super hero of the drums, he was a normal guy with many flaws that inspired me to become a better drummer than I was, even if I didn't go anywhere with my limited talents.

26 Brothers, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth.
27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

In the Bible we see that God consistently used people who were far less than perfect. That shouldn’t surprise us. God is glorified by showing Himself strong through our weaknesses. It shows us that He desires to work through our lives not because we are perfect but because He is. And since He uses weak and foolish things it means you and I are prime candidates for His work.

The Lord isn’t looking for superheroes. He uses those of us who are flawed and frail, so that He can show His strength and grace. He wants those with a willing and available heart.

No comments: