Friday, November 7, 2008

WAITING



Psalm 70
1 Hasten, O God, to save me; O LORD, come quickly to help me.
5 Yet I am poor and needy; come quickly to me, O God. You are my help and my deliverer; O LORD, do not delay.

I don't know about anyone else, but I am impatient. I hate waiting; in lines, in traffic, for the train or bus, I even hate waiting for the movie to begin. There are times when I think that I am the only one that feels this way as I see others waiting with me appearing to be comfortable passing the time.
Reading Psalm 70, I come to the conclusion that David was like me; impatient. David pleads with God to come quickly and not delay. He wants God to act, and act right now!
Don't we all?
We pray to God for our circumstances and that he would intervene when we ask him to, but, God knows better than we do, and he knows how and when to act on our behalf.
What we wait for, however, is far less important than what God is doing while we wait. In such times He works in us to develop those hard-to-achieve spiritual virtues of meekness, kindness, and patience with others. But more important, we learn to lean on God alone and to “rejoice and be glad” in Him
Ain't that boogie a mess?

4 But may all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you; may those who love your salvation always say, "Let God be exalted!"

My head knows, and my heart understands that patience is not a virtue, it's a gift of the spirit, but when I'm in the thick of it, I want action and I want it now. I want God to race to my aid, I hate it when he does things in his time not mine, yet I know that the teaching, the lessons for life, happen while waiting to see what God will do for us, and we have to be ready to accept the results of his actions both good and bad as we perceive them to be.
Have patience. Know that God is in Charge.

Ps 46:10 "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."

No comments: