Saturday, November 15, 2008

TEACH YOU CHILDREN


Exodus 12: 13 – 17, 25 – 27

It began to hit me about twenty years ago while I was at a party. I was talking to a friend about music when this younger guest, who over heard us, said; “Who are the Beatles”. My first reaction was to think that either I'm really old, or this kid is really young, or this kid is just a fool who needs some schooling.
The problem is that it didn't stop there, I was at work the other day when my supervisor admitted that she had never been to a drive in. she said that she had heard of them, but had never even seen one. Another co-worker said that she had never heard of Gilligan's Island.
Ask your kids if they know about something that you took for granted that everyone knows, and see their reactions.
This is not a recent phenomenon. God knew that knowledge would be lost unless the children were taught and reminded of the significant events of the past.

13 The blood will be a sign for you on the houses where you are; and when I see the blood, I will pass over you. No destructive plague will touch you when I strike Egypt.

26 And when your children ask you, ‘What does this ceremony mean to you?’
27 then tell them, ‘It is the Passover sacrifice to the LORD, who passed over the houses of the Israelites in Egypt and spared our homes when he struck down the Egyptians.’" Then the people bowed down and worshipped.

When our children ask us about our values, lifestyle, prayer in decision-making, Bible-reading, church attendance, and worship, we have a responsibility to answer them. We are followers of Jesus. We must retell the story of how He became our Passover Lamb. His blood is the marker over our lives. We are no longer slaves to sin but are free to serve the Eternal One of heaven.

It's just that simple I guess. Let your children know the past and what's important to you and of benefit to them.
When it gets to the bottom line, a parents life is a child's guidebook.

No comments: