Tuesday, November 11, 2008

VETERANS DAY



john 15: 9 – 17

In Melbourne Australia, they built a war memorial after the first world war, on which they have written the names of all those brave soldiers that gave their lives in service to their great nation. Included in this memorial is a large stone with John 15:13 written on it;

13 Greater love has no-one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.

Also there is a mirror placed to reflect the sun so that on the 11'th hour, of the 11'th day, of the 11'th month (the day and time that ended the first world war), the word “love” is lit up with the reflection of that mirror.
All over the world memorials are erected to honor those who have given their lives, today we have set apart a day in which we are able to honor those warriors both living and dead for their sacrifice.
Today, if you run into a veteran, thank him or her for their service to this country so that we can remain free, and live in safety.
Jesus was teaching his disciples about the love of God and the love that he wanted them to show the world.

9 "As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love.
10 If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father’s commands and remain in his love.
11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.
12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit—fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.
17 This is my command: Love each other.

Jesus told his men this the night he was to be arrested. The night before he was to give his life as sacrifice for the sins of the world.
His death was not for freedom from political tyranny but freedom from the penalty of sin. His death was not just to give us a better life, but to give us eternal life.
It is important to remember those who have given their lives for their country—but may we never forget to praise and honor the Christ who died for a dying world. Truly, there is no greater love than this.

No comments: