Tuesday, November 18, 2008

WISE COUNSEL



Proverbs 17: 22 – 27

When I first became a Christian, a Pastor friend of mine told me that I should surround myself with men of God who could give me wise counsel. As I would often have questions, I would go to one or more of these men and ask for advise as to how I should proceed.
I had yet to read much of the Bible and was filled with mis information about it. I had also heard that there was a book written by the wisest man of all history called the Proverbs.
Wisdom for those who need it, how cool is that?

22 A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.

24 A discerning man keeps wisdom in view, but a fool’s eyes wander to the ends of the earth.

27 A man of knowledge uses words with restraint, and a man of understanding is even-tempered.

Three verses three great words of advice. Solomon knew what he was talking about, so he was included in my circle of men of God that I will go to for wise counsel.
I'm beginning to ramble a little here, so lets get to the meat of the matter.
As we interact with others, disagreements are inevitable. The discerning believer understands his own heart and takes steps to deal with conflict diplomatically.
Proverbs 17:27 tells us: “He who has knowledge spares his words.” This means keeping in check a multitude of opinions that could ignite further anger in others. Someone who displays wisdom will think before speaking, and then will share only insights likely to be helpful.
The Proverbs also give us wise counsel on the emotional side of controlling our frustrations. “A man of understanding is of a calm spirit.” A mature person exhibits understanding by keeping cool in conflict. Problem-solving is enhanced by an even-tempered approach.
The next time you become angry, stop and prayerfully reflect for a moment. Ask God for a calm spirit and the right words to say. (ODB)
I leaned heavily on ODB today, it made more sense then I was when I started, and it was saying essentially what I wanted to say anyway.
Read the proverbs, theres one for each day of the month, read them often, one a day, every day.

No comments: