Monday, November 24, 2008

NOPE, AIN'T HAPPENIN.


Mathew 19: 16 – 26

24 Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."

I don't know about you, but there have been times in my life when I tried to accomplish what I first thought to be an easy task that turned out to be an impossible venture that defeated my earnest attempts at success. Then I turned my efforts over to Jesus and was able to overcome the obstacles that were set in my path.

26 Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Two thousand years ago, a young ruler asked Jesus an “impossible” question: “What good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?” After an intriguing exchange, the man “went away sorrowful” when he realized he would have to give up his wealth—the very thing he valued more than a relationship with Jesus.
That's harsh.
The things I was talking about that I was trying to do had nothing to do with my eternal soul. I just wanted to quit smoking and couldn't do it without leaning on God. I felt terrible and defeated every time I lit up. I just wanted to go away, continue smoking, and deny ever having tried to quit claiming that it was my final decision to stay a smoker. I can't even come close to imagining how the young ruler felt knowing that he could not put down the thing that Jesus said that he must. The knowledge of what his actions meant and shame he must have felt had to be devastating.

21 Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
22 When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.

This upright man had kept the letter of the law, yet had fallen short. “Who then can be saved?” asked the astonished disciples (v.25). Jesus answered, “With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible” (v.26).
The One who created this universe out of nothing has a history of accomplishing the impossible. When we forsake what this life has to offer and follow Him, He does the impossible once again.

He gives us eternal life!

No comments: