Wednesday, May 27, 2009

HUH?

Psalm 82


What do we do when we find out that we got it all wrong?
I've been getting it wrong for so long that I sometimes forget what is right. For as long as I can remember, I have been given instruction and rules to follow. We can sometimes call these rules moral codes. The things that supposed to teach us the right way to live.
Take all this into consideration, and I've messed them up from day one. Oh, I've tried to get it right and I've gone out of my way to do the right thing.
The thing is, I think that we all get lazy and let our guard down, and that's where the trouble lies.
It has been said that there is no one so blind as those who refuse to see. That's a very true saying that was true a long time ago, and lives on to this day. Let's face it. We start out with good intentions and then we let things like, oh let's just say, favoritism or laziness, fog our outlook on what we are truly supposed to do.

1 God calls the judges into his courtroom, he puts all the judges in the dock.
2 "Enough! You’ve corrupted justice long enough, you’ve let the wicked get away with murder.
3 You’re here to defend the defenseless, to make sure that underdogs get a fair break;
4 Your job is to stand up for the powerless, and prosecute all those who exploit them."

Oops. Where did we go wrong with this one?
Is it because of greed?
I don't really know. What we do know is that the example here applies to today.
We sometimes just take our eyes off the ball, and it hits us in the face. From then on we take what we think are the proper precautions to save face, forgetting what we are called to do, and do the thing that is easiest to do, or sometimes the thing that offers us the most profit.

5 Ignorant judges! Head-in-the-sand judges! They haven’t a clue to what’s going on. And now everything’s falling apart, the world’s coming unglued.
6 "I commissioned you judges, each one of you, deputies of the High God,
7 But you’ve betrayed your commission and now you’re stripped of your rank, busted."
8 O God, give them their just deserts! You’ve got the whole world in your hands!

Problem is, we get called out on our missteps. We are accountable for what we do whether we think it is fair or not.
The Bible tells us that we will have to stand before God and give an account of our lives. I hope that I can eventually get it right, listen to what I've been instructed to do, and do the right thing.
I really do want to. How about you?

No comments: