Saturday, May 9, 2009

THE SUBSTANCE OF THINGS HOPED FOR

Mathew 8: 5 – 10


All of us, who call ourselves, Christian have faith. And, we all have different levels, feelings, and thoughts about faith. We know that people can be justified by faith and are said to have righteousness bestowed upon them by the Lord.
But I sometimes struggle with just what faith is. Oh, I know the classic definition about the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things unseen. (Hebrews 11:1) I also know that I have faith. I just struggle with the depth of that faith. I am also sure that others suffer the same issues.
We all claim that we have faith that God will provide for our needs. But, how many of us remain calm when there is too much month at the end of the money? Or, who of us doesn't freak out (just a little) when we find out that a loved one is seriously ill?
Why do we “lose” faith when things don't work out the way we want?
What would it be like for us if we had the strong faith we claim to have, along with the simple faith of a child? That unshakable faith that leaves no doubt.
Remember the story of the Roman Centurion?

5 When Jesus had entered Capernaum, a centurion came to him, asking for help.
6 "Lord," he said, "my servant lies at home paralyzed and in terrible suffering."
7 Jesus said to him, "I will go and heal him."
8 The centurion replied, "Lord, I do not deserve to have you come under my roof. But just say the word, and my servant will be healed.

Now that's what I call faith. And, apparently Jesus agrees with me.

10 When Jesus heard this, he was astonished and said to those following him, "I tell you the truth, I have not found anyone in Israel with such great faith.

I pray that someday, Jesus would say that of me. But, boy howdy, I sure have a long way to go before that can be said.
We may all fall short of the goal of the perfect faith, but God gave us a blueprint to follow to attain the faith that we hope to have one day.

No comments: