Tuesday, May 5, 2009

WHY ME?

1 Kings 19: 11 – 18



there was this guy that I worked with a couple of years ago who thought that everything was against him. He asked me one day what the weather was going to be like tomorrow to which I replied cold and snowy. (it was winter) he then said; “Why does this always happen to me”!
I was amazed when I heard that thinking boy is this guy self centered.
Elijah seems to have felt the same way, when he thought that he was all alone in his dedication to the Lord. Why else would he go to hide in a mountain cave scared for his life from the queen Jezebel.

10 He replied, "I have been very zealous for the LORD God Almighty. The Israelites have rejected your covenant, broken down your altars, and put your prophets to death with the sword. I am the only one left, and now they are trying to kill me too."

Kind of a long way of saying; Why me?
But, just like that guy I worked with Elijah had it all wrong. He was not the only one left as he thought he was. There were many in Israel that had chosen to not follow false gods.

18 Yet I reserve seven thousand in Israel—all whose knees have not bowed down to Baal and all whose mouths have not kissed him."

Elijah had done many amazing things as a prophet of God, yet he didn't see what God had in mind. He was hiding in a cave on the mountain when God told him to come out as He was about to pass by.

11 The LORD said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the LORD, for the LORD is about to pass by." Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the LORD, but the LORD was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the LORD was not in the earthquake.
12 After the earthquake came a fire, but the LORD was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.

God did not present Himself in a grand and glorious way as many would think. No He made His presence known in a soft quiet voice, instantly showing Elijah how foolish his actions were. He was not alone as he thought, there was a multitude just waiting for him.
When we think that we stand alone, or that we are the only ones effected, let's listen to that soft voice to give us confidence and strength.

No comments: