Tuesday, May 12, 2009

WHAT DOES IT MATTER?

Philippians 1: 19 – 26


Hamlet asked the right question. To be, or not to be. We are familiar with quote from the Shakespeare play, and I am sure that we have asked the question of our own situation. Hamlet was contemplating suicide after all the shenanigans happening at Elsinore castle with his family.
I think that Paul was kinda talking about the same thing after being a prisoner in Rome and felt that his race may have come to the finish line. But he also had a great reason and goal to continue the fight that give us so much comfort in the Bible.
Paul knows the situation that he is in and what the consequences would be if he chose not to be.

21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
22 If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do not know!
23 I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far;
24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.

Even today, I am sure that there are some of us whom contemplate the issues of their own life or death, for as Paul says, “to die is gain”. This doesn't mean that we are all a bunch of suicidal lunatics, it just means that we are aware of what lays before us in the life to come.
We know that the world is crumbling all around us and it seems as if our message of love and hope rings hollow in the ears of many who hear us. Nothing appears to be getting any better and we feel helpless to make a difference. Maybe it is time to check out and dance with Jesus?
But then again, if we don't at least tell people about Christ, then who will?

24 but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.
25 Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith,

Paul knew, as did God, that there was, is, and always will be a remnant of people who believe who will spread His word. His gospel. We are part of that remnant and must soldier on in our quest to make disciples of all nations and tongues.

To live is Christ!
Let's start living'.

No comments: