Friday, May 22, 2009

I'M RIGHT, YOU MUST BE WRONG.

Luke 6: 37 – 42


I don't know why other people can't see things my way. After all, my opinion is the right one. But, for some reason, those stubborn folk refuse to acknowledge that I am right.
I don't know if it's true or not, but I will bet that from time to time, we have all said words to that effect. We get it into our heads that we are right, and there is no shifting that idea or feeling. It's an ego thing.
The only problem seems to be, that when we get into that mind set, we are usually wrong or at least not right about the situation.
I hate Lilacs. They take over everything that comes near them. I mean just try to put a border of flowers around a Lilac bush and watch what happens. The flowers get choked out until only the Lilac remains. Plus, I am allergic to that dreaded plant which makes me suffer terribly when they come into bloom. On the other hand, I have met other people who think the opposite about these bushes. To them, the Lilac is a beautiful plant bursting with color only found in early spring, giving off a delightful aroma that greets the morning and lasts into the evening. Bringing along a cup of good coffee enhances the experience of the Lilac perfume enabling them to sit back sip the coffee and let the pleasant aroma fill their minds with peaceful thoughts.
Hogwash! Those people are foolish and need a good dose of logic.

So, who's right?

37 "Do not judge, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven.
41 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother’s eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
42 How can you say to your brother, ‘Brother, let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when you yourself fail to see the plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye.

Here we go again. The word of God shows off our inequity. The word points out our human failures and imperfections. Our will can run riot and inflate our ego's to the bursting point so that we are unable to see that we may be mistaken with our opinions.
We must be on constant alert to keep our focus on the word, and not on our own personalities.

No comments: