Thursday, August 7, 2008

ADOPTED

Romans 8: 12 – 18

I had a dream the other night that I had grown and matured to the age that I am now, and found out that I was adopted by my mother and father, and was being introduced to my biological mother for the first time. With my parents dead, I had a lot of questions that went unanswered, so I spent the rest of the dream looking for my true father.

I’m not sure, what the dream is supposed to mean, but I think it is a reflection of my life as it is today. Paul tells us that we are adopted and that we are free from our previous lives as slaves to fear.

15 For you did not receive a spirit that makes you a slave again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship. And by him we cry, "Abba, Father."

The phrase “slave to fear” really hit home for me. In the past my life was fear based, I lived everyday fearful that I would be found out to be who I really was.
The great relief I discovered having read that verse the first time was incredible. My life changed over night. I found out that I was adopted spiritually into the family of God, and I have been spending my life searching for a better relationship with my heavenly father.

17 Now if we are children, then we are heirs, heirs of God and co-heirs with Christ, if indeed we share in his sufferings in order that we may also share in his glory.
18 I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.

Whoa, dude, how cool is that? I can’t wait to see the glory revealed in us, even though there may be suffering along the way.
My earthly father always told me that nothing of value comes without suffering, so I guess we have to expect the bad times and be ready to take them on without fear.

13 There’s nothing in it for us, nothing at all. The best thing to do is give it a decent burial and get on with your new life.
14 God’s Spirit beckons. There are things to do and places to go! (The Message)

Sometimes I feel like the message translation says it pretty good. We do have things to do and places to go, we have to train ourselves for this journey that God calls us to. So it’s time to get into shape.
Start doing those spiritual pushups, get that aerobic prayer going, strengthen the muscles that hold back fear, run a few laps to strengthen those legs.

I’M PUMPED AND JACKED!

Let’s go proclaim our adoption into royalty. Praise God and bring the message to our families and neighborhoods.

No comments: