Friday, August 29, 2008

RUST NEVER SLEEPS

1 TIMOTHY 6: 11 – 16
Oswald Chambers said: “The intellect works with the greatest intensity when it works continuously; the more you do, the more you can do. We must work hard to keep in trim for God. Clean off the rust and keep bright by use.”
Ozzie can be a little wordy when he talks, to me he could have easily said; “Use it or lose it.” But then that leaves the question; Lose what?
Paul is talking to Timothy, telling him not to rest on his laurels, that he needed to keep vigilant always working to keep away from evil things like the love of money, until Jesus returns. This command had no expiration date attached to it. The spiritual disciplines require continued attention throughout our lives. If rest becomes our goal, then rust is right behind. Spiritual inactivity corrodes the soul like moisture acting on metal
11 But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness.
12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.
When I first came to know God, I thought that my life was now complete. But, I let go of my beliefs, I just walked away one day and can’t explain why. I just closed my Bible and didn’t pick it up for a awhile and during that period of time I felt completely soul sick, I was alone and the relationships that I had started to develop ended. To those people in the church I was attending I didn’t exist, I was a fading memory that held no weight. I was amazed at how quickly most of my old habits resurfaced.
Thankfully, I found my way back and will, with prayer, stay here until christ’s return
13 In the sight of God, who gives life to everything, and of Christ Jesus, who while testifying before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, I charge you
14 to keep this command without spot or blame until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ,
15 which God will bring about in his own time—God, the blessed and only Ruler, the King of kings and Lord of lords,
16 who alone is immortal and who lives in unapproachable light, whom no-one has seen or can see. To him be honour and might for ever. Amen.
Our capabilities may vary with age, but pursuing the righteous life to which God has called us should never end. Don’t rust out!

No comments: