Tuesday, August 12, 2008

READY TO ROCK AND ROLL?

1 Thessalonians 4: 13 – 17

Ever think about the rapture?
I think it’s going to be one heck of a day, there will be fear and confusion for those “left behind”, and those of us taken up to meet Jesus in the sky there will be the beginning of joy everlasting. I hope when that time comes, that I am riding my trike on a beautiful day, just moving into a turn in the road. One minute I’m on the road, then, whoa whats happening here? Next I’m meeting Jesus face to face.
Has anybody else had these thoughts? Am I the only one?
Marty Stuart has a song with this lyric: I’m ready when you call me, but give me just a little more time.
So, I’m not focusing on thoughts like this to the exclusion of others, I’m not morbid, and I’m not having suicidal thoughts. Just now and then, it comes to my head.

15 According to the Lord’s own word, we tell you that we who are still alive, who are left till the coming of the Lord, will certainly not precede those who have fallen asleep.
16 For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first.
17 After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord for ever.

These thoughts apparently came to Paul as well, because if they didn’t, then we wouldn’t have teachings like this to prepare us and comfort us for the coming times. Whether we have experienced these feelings is not important. What is absolutely vital is that we know we are ready at any time for the Lord’s return. If we have received Jesus as our Savior, we will find ourselves anticipating with excitement His appearing, eager to “stir up love and good works” in one another as we “see the Day approaching” (Heb. 10:24-25).

A little while—then Christ will come;
The glorious hour draws nigh
When He will come to take His brideTo dwell
with Him on high. —Gilmore

Christ’s second coming is as certain as His first.

Are you ready to Rock and Roll?

No comments: