Thursday, August 28, 2008

COMFORT FOOD


Romans 15: 1 – 7
I love the term comfort food. It makes me feel that if I eat it everything will be all right. I’m not even sure what the term means, I think it just sounds good.
Real comfort is not the byproduct of specific foods any more than it is the result of alcohol or drugs or money or pleasure or power. It is a much deeper need that requires a much deeper solution
Paul tells us that we should consider the comfort of others before we think of ourselves.
1 We who are strong ought to bear with the failings of the weak and not to please ourselves.
2 Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up.
I’m not built that way. I always think of my comfort first, I love my chair and my TV; I even love my tea and sweets. I want them before I consider giving comfort to others. We are all born selfish. I think the first word we learn as kids is “Mine”. So imagine the great influence it takes for us to read those words take them to heart, come together in unity, and act upon them.
5 May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus,
6 so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.
7 Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God
Paul told the church at Rome that the search for comfort can begin in the pages of the Bible. He wrote, “Whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope” (Rom. 15:4).
God has given us His Word to draw us to Himself. Through a relationship with Him, He provides the comfort we need to live in a broken world.
Think of lifting others as you would like to have done for yourself. Bring experience, strength, and hope to someone who needs it.


No comments: