Monday, August 11, 2008

ON YOUR MARK! GET SET,…

1 Corinthians 9: 19 – 27

There is an old saying in athletics; “Pain fades, Glory lasts forever, and Chicks dig scars.” This saying refers to the struggle involved in attempting to win the prize.
During this time of year, as we are all watching the Olympic Games, I think back to two of my favorite Olympians; Eddie the Eagle, and Ernie the Eel.
Eddie was an Englishman who one day decided that he would like to be a ski jumper, and being the only Englishman to attempt this, he made the team. Ernie was a proud African man (I forget from which country). His country was competing in the Games for the first time and sent only two athletes, one competing in track and Ernie who was to compete in men’s swimming events.
The one thing that both Eddie an Ernie had in common was that neither had any training in their sport of choice.
Every time Eddie got to the starting line, there was a good chance that he would crash and fall, thereby risking his life. Ernie could only manage to dog paddle his way through the events, nearly drowning every time.
24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.
There was no chance for either guy to win the prize of Olympic gold, they did, however, achieve Olympic glory. They put their all on the line and won the admiration of every competitor that witnessed their valiant efforts, their countrymen and to a small extent, the world.
25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last for ever.
Paul uses the example of sports so that all who hear would understand what he meant in trying to explain the kingdom of heaven, and how we should live our lives as an example of Christ.
19 Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.
20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.
22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.
23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel that I may share in its blessings.
26 Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air.
27 No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

We must train as best we can to be able to win others for the kingdom putting the example of our lives on the line every day.
Remember, we may be the only Bible that some people may read.

No comments: