Thursday, August 14, 2008

FEED MY SHEEP

John 21: 15 – 17

15 After breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" "Yes, Master, you know I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my lambs."
16 He then asked a second time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" "Yes, Master, you know I love you." Jesus said, "Shepherd my sheep."
17 Then he said it a third time: "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was upset that he asked for the third time, "Do you love me?" so he answered, "Master, you know everything there is to know. You’ve got to know that I love you." Jesus said, "Feed my sheep. (The Message)

There has always been some debate as to why Jesus asked Peter the same thing three times. Some will say that he was asked once for each denial of Jesus, while others say that Jesus, knowing Peter, was drumming home his request, or, did He ask His questions to underscore the essential truth that only love for Christ would sustain Peter in the work that lay ahead, that arduous, demanding work of caring for people’s souls, perhaps the hardest work of all.
Remember that Jesus did not ask Peter if he loved his sheep, rather did he love Him. Affection for God’s people in itself will not sustain them. His sheep can be unresponsive, unappreciative, and harshly critical of efforts to love and to serve us. In the end, we will find ourselves defeated and discouraged.
The “love of Christ”, our love for Him, is the only sufficient motivation that will enable us to stay the course, to continue to feed the flock of God.
Do we love Him enough to feed his sheep; are we ready to take on that responsibility? Some of us may be like Peter, loving the Lord, frustrated by the questions of faith put to us, but not quite ready to shine. Peter didn’t really step up until Pentecost when he finally found his voice and began to minister to the people at large.
If we can answer questions put to us with; "Yes, Master, you know I love you.", then I think we will be okay no matter how frustrated we become, no matter how shy or fearful we may be, we will be able to reach out with our love for His sheep.

No comments: