Friday, August 15, 2008

GATHERING STICKS

Acts 28: 1 – 10

In English Comp., we were taught that we needed an opening statement, a premise, and a conclusion, to every paper we wrote.
Here’s my opening statement;
PAUL WAS THE MAN!
Premise;
He was the most significant author of the New Testament. No matter what his condition, he found comfort. He loved God and served him faithfully.
Conclusion;
His life is an example for us all to follow, and his words are divinely inspired.

In the book of Acts, we find the conversion of Paul and the effects of his early ministry. In chapter 28, we find him shipwrecked, a prisoner on his way to Rome for sentencing, and yet his first thoughts were not on his own situation, but on the comfort of the other people with him as he gathered sticks for the fire. No poor me’s for Paul, he was going to teach about the power and love of God mo matter what.

His example sometimes makes me feel inadequate. As I’ve said before, I suffer from arthritis, and often think that I am useless and an anchor around the necks of those I serve God with due to my physical limitations.
Funny the tricks our minds will play huh?
Satan and his minions love to stir the pot when we begin to feel this way, and will attack us in our weakness, re-enforcing these thoughts. I begin to feel sorry for myself, thinking there is nothing I can do for others;

Yet Paul gathered sticks for the fire.

SO WHY CAN’T I?

This is an example that we all need to burn into our hearts, that no matter what our conditions are, we can do what “we are” capable of to serve God.

Perhaps we’ve been set aside for a while due to difficult circumstances. Maybe we’ve reached the time in our life when vigorous activity is no longer possible. Don’t despair. Remember Paul’s example, and do what you can do, even if it’s simply “gathering sticks.”

No comments: