Thursday, March 5, 2009

AMERICAN IDOLS

Ezekiel 14: 1 – 8



Each of us has one whether we want to admit it or not. We either have one or want one. What I'm talking about are idols, something that helps take our focus away from God, and the other important things in our lives like our families or work.
We get assaulted by idols everyday, images on TV of the tings they tell us that we just can't live without. Everything from food preparation to fine furnishing are played out in our living rooms every day, at all hours of the day. Every message created to make us feel that we are worthless, outcasts, or just not the kind of people who don't know how to throw a party. We need this idol to survive!

1 Some of the elders of Israel came to me and sat down in front of me.
2 Then the word of the LORD came to me:
3 "Son of man, these men have set up idols in their hearts and put wicked stumbling-blocks before their faces. Should I let them enquire of me at all?
4 Therefore speak to them and tell them, ‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says: When any Israelite sets up idols in his heart and puts a wicked stumbling-block before his face and then goes to a prophet, I the LORD will answer him myself in keeping with his great idolatry.
5 I will do this to recapture the hearts of the people of Israel, who have all deserted me for their idols.’
6 "Therefore say to the house of Israel, ‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Repent! Turn from your idols and renounce all your detestable practices!
7 "‘When any Israelite or any alien living in Israel separates himself from me and sets up idols in his heart and puts a wicked stumbling-block before his face and then goes to a prophet to inquire of me, I the LORD will answer him myself.
8 I will set my face against that man and make him an example and a byword. I will cut him off from my people. Then you will know that I am the LORD.

I guess God has addressed our desire for idols. I know that I'd rather be with God, and at least try to not collect idols, and those idols that I have already collected, I will make attempts to clear them from my life.

No comments: