Monday, March 9, 2009

NOT MY JOB MAN!

Genesis 3: 9 – 19


There was a comedian in the 70's named Freddie Prinz and his punch line was “Not my job man!” it was sort of like “Git r done” is today. People all over used that phrase at home, and on the job, and that's where the trouble lies.
We have a tendency to build our walls around ourselves, and what we do. We don't want to do more than what is required of us, and we don't want to take responsibility for what we do. We want to skate through life without making any waves.
Another saying these days is “Thats above my pay grade” when we want to duck something or not make a commitment.
The problem is, that kind of attitude has gotten us into trouble since the beginning of time.
As Christians, we are called to obey. Time after time in the Bible, we are shown that the best response we can say when we are called by the voice of God is Here I am Lord, or yes. The times when we point fingers at others instead of taking responsibility, disaster follows. Joseph said yes to God, and Adam pointed to Eve, who pointed to the serpent. Who do you think made out better?

9 But the LORD God called to the man, "Where are you?"
10 He answered, "I heard you in the garden, and I was afraid because I was naked; so I hid."
11 And he said, "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree from which I commanded you not to eat?"
12 The man said, "The woman you put here with me—she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it."
13 Then the LORD God said to the woman, "What is this you have done?" The woman said, "The serpent deceived me, and I ate."

Oops! There goes the neighborhood.
Being thrown out of paradise may seem a bit harsh, but it is an example for us today to obey God and his commandments.
We need to take this attitude to work with us these days as well. If we use these kind of excuses when our boss asks something of us, we may be thrown out of work. And these days that can be quite harsh.
I guess when we look at things, we are best served by quoting the prophet Samuel when he was called by God; “Here I am Lord”.
Yeah. That works for me.

No comments: