Thursday, March 12, 2009

HIGH EXPECTATIONS

Philippians 1: 3 – 11


When I came to start writing this, I thought that I had a good opening, but it has left me, so I am rambling now with the expectation that whatever I was going to write would come to me, or I will think of a new opening that will capture your attention.
Expectation, that's what I'm talking about. I expect that I will be able to write a teaching here, and you expect that I will, and e – mail it to you.
I have a friend who, the other day, was talking about his motorcycle. He smiled as he said to me and others, that his bike was all apart. He was working on it, painting it, and in his eye he saw the finished item, while I know I saw a bunch of parts laying around on the floor. He had an expectation of what that bike will look like, and even looked forward to the day when it would be complete.
Paul was trying to get this kind of thing across to the good people of Philippi. He was talking of the Day that Jesus was to return.

9 And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight,
10 so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ,
11 filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.

High expectations indeed.
Paul saw what others didn't. He saw what he knew to be the finished product. He knew that the people in Philippi would be ready for that day. All they needed was a little encouragement.

3 I thank my God every time I remember you.
4 In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy
5 because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now,
6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
7 It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart; for whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God’s grace with me.

My hope and prayer, is that I will be able, like Paul, to see what I know to be the final outcome. The truth of the return of our Lord Jesus Christ.
What I mean is, even though the parts may be all over the floor and making no sense to the casual observer. I want to be like my friend and see the finished product of all of us as we are ready for the day of His return.

No comments: