Thursday, June 4, 2009

THE ADVOCATE

1 John 2: 1 – 11


Many years ago, I received a speeding ticket. I don't remember what town it was that gave it to me, and I forgot all about it at that time. A year later, I got stopped for having a headlight out on my car only to find out that my license to drive was revoked due to the forgotten ticket.
As I was let go, I assumed that all was alright. Stopped again, I ended up in court for not appearing for the violation. A nightmare began at that point, and I tried to defend myself, only to end up in more trouble until the time I was being led into the Plymouth courthouse in handcuffs yelling “Get me a lawyer”.
I needed an advocate and I needed it now before I slipped down another peg. This wasn't me. I am not now, nor was I then, a criminal. I was a good guy that could receive no Justice. I was afraid and I felt that I was all alone with no hope.
That was a long story to illustrate a point.
We will all stand before a judge at the end of days, and it doesn't matter how nice a person we are, or what good deeds we have done. We will continue to be found guilty of our sins unless we have an advocate to plead our case for us.

1 My dear children, I write this to you so that you will not sin. But if anybody does sin, we have one who speaks to the Father in our defense—Jesus Christ, the Righteous One.
2 He is the atoning sacrifice for our sins, and not only for ours but also for the sins of the whole world.

Thank you Jesus for being our advocate. Without Him we are doomed. We can claim that we are in a relationship with Him and that we know Him.
There are also some folks who claim to know Christ, but they do not walk with Him, and do not have a relationship with Him.
These people are not only trying to fool us, they are fooling themselves, and as I was, in an earthly court, they will lose their freedom.

4 The man who says, "I know him," but does not do what he commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
5 But if anyone obeys his word, God’s love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in him:
6 Whoever claims to live in him must walk as Jesus did.

Rejoice!
Our sins are covered by the sacrifice of our Lord!
Because of our advocate, we will not be separated from God and we have been set free.

No comments: