Saturday, June 13, 2009

THE WAY.

John 14: 1 – 6


Back in the early 70's, there was a hit song called, “Do You Know the Way to San Jose?”
I am using the title of this song to show that people are always looking for the way to someplace whether it's to a city, country, or even Heaven. I looked it up on the Internet and found 41 different variations on the meaning of this little 3 letter word. Some of these interpretations vary from a mode of dress or how we have a tendency to act, even a law, or condition.
Not only does the word mean things of this nature, but the word also denotes roads or passages both big and small.

3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am.
4 You know the way to the place where I am going."
5 Thomas said to him, "Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?"
6 Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life. No-one comes to the Father except through me.

When Jesus called himself the way, He was once again using a metaphor that people would easily understand. Rome had criss crossed the known world with roads both big and small which led to many cities and towns throughout the empire. That is probably how they would have seen that statement.
When Jesus said, “I am the way,” he was calling to us to leave our old way of doing things,or our tendencies of acting, change our ways that lead us to destruction and follow his direction to a new way of life that he provides.
That's about that. We have the knowledge so now a choice must be made.
We can choose to continue in the old familiar way which leads to destruction, or, we can follow the way that Jesus laid down for us.

No comments: