Wednesday, June 10, 2009

IT'S NEVER TOO LATE. OR IS IT?

Ecclesiastes 12: 1 – 7


When we were young, did we ever think of God?
For me, God was never the first thing on my mind when I was a kid. I was more interested in playing with my buddies, watching sports, eating my lunch, and trying to find a way to sit beside the pretty blond girl in my social studies class. God only came to my mind when I was hoping on Saturday night, that Mom and Dad would want to sleep in on Sunday and not want to go to church.

1 Honor and enjoy your Creator while you’re still young, Before the years take their toll and your vigor wanes,
2 Before your vision dims and the world blurs And the winter years keep you close to the fire.

As an adult, I wish that things had been different. Knowing God as I do now, I realize that He was not in the boring speech that Rev. Brummet gave on Sunday, nor was God in the awful Sunday school classes where we would talk about things that didn't matter to my life, or we made things out of Popsicle sticks.
It really doesn't matter when, in our lives, we come into relationship with God. What matters most is that we do, but, the sooner the better.

3 In old age, your body no longer serves you so well. Muscles slacken, grip weakens, joints stiffen. The shades are pulled down on the world.
4 You can’t come and go at will. Things grind to a halt. The hum of the household fades away. You are wakened now by bird-song.
5 Hikes to the mountains are a thing of the past. Even a stroll down the road has its terrors. Your hair turns apple-blossom white, Adorning a fragile and impotent matchstick body. Yes, you’re well on your way to eternal rest, While your friends make plans for your funeral.

Growing old sure seems depressing when we read this little snippet from the message translation. When Solomon wrote this book, he wasn't in the best frame of mind, and all he could see was the fruitlessness that life offers. Yet, he also knew of the Sovereignty of God, and that without Him we are truly doomed.

6 Life, lovely while it lasts, is soon over. Life as we know it, precious and beautiful, ends.
7 The body is put back in the same ground it came from. The spirit returns to God, who first breathed it.

I don't think that these words have any comfort in them. And, I'm afraid that he doesn't give much hope for the life to come.
Solomon, like us in our youth, thinks that the life that we know is the most important thing.
God and eternity are far from our thoughts. Today I can't imagine life without God. I no longer fear the end of this earthly life, and there are times when I can hardly wait to meet Jesus face to face in the life to come. Also today, I realize that even though I grow older, I am still vital and vigorous to be of use to God.
Okay. So maybe I'm not as fast as I used to be and I can't stay up as long as I once could, but, I can bring the word of God to my family and offer His peace to other people who are willing to listen.
I guess the basic message here is why wait to enter into a relationship with God, when you can do it today?
If you haven't made up your mind, even if you go to church every Sunday just because you think you should, become a believer today.
There are some people who plan an eleventh hour conversion only to die at yen forty five. Don't be one of those guys. Don't be late for the wedding party.

No comments: