Monday, June 8, 2009

THE MAKER

Psalm 139: 1 – 16


"In the first twelve verses of this Psalm the author celebrates God’s perfect knowledge of man’s thoughts and actions; and the reason of this wonderful knowledge, is that God is the Maker of man. Hence the psalmist proceeds, in the four following verses, to magnify God as ordaining and superintending the formation of his body in the womb.
That's a summary of the first 16 verses of Psalm 139. it is very studious, insightful, and boring as all get out.
There are things that we all wonder about like, whether or not Brady's knee will hinder the Pats, will Brad really leave Angelina, why does God let bad things happen, or is God truly in control.
We have all experienced the presence of God in our lives and we have all suffered loss of one kind or another. We may understand the concept of this, but, there are times, when I question the why of it.
When I was new at being a Christian, I was able to easily understand that God loves us. What was hard for me to fathom was that God loved me. How could He possibly love a loser like me? Psalm 139 made me afraid that once again that a judgmental God was following me ready to throw a few lightening bolts at me. According to the psalm, there was no where to hide, no where that I could run to, I couldn't avoid His anger.

1 O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.
2 You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.
3 You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.
5 You hem me in—behind and before; you have laid your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me, too lofty for me to attain.
7 Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?

Eventually, fear was replaced with comfort. The presence of All Mighty God was with me and guiding my steps, sort of like a loving father helping his child learn to walk and grow.
Now. Heres the kicker. The things that were written that began to turn the tide in my life.

13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
16 your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.
17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God! How vast is the sum of them!

Once I came to know God, and let him into my heart for real, the knowledge that He was totally in control, well, all I can say is that fear and paranoia not only left me, they ran away screaming into the night..
I once feared and questioned death. I asked things like, “Why did that child have to die”?, or, “Why do I fear death on an almost daily basis”?
If the God created us, He must also know how long we will exist.
No matter what the situation, no matter what the loss. No matter where we are, or even where we are going. God is there with us. He feels what we feel, whether joy or sadness, and is there to either celebrate or comfort.
Don't be afraid like I was. Be comforted by God instead.

No comments: