Monday, July 20, 2009

FOCUS

Ephesians 4: 17 – 24


When somebody decides to join an outlaw motorcycle club, they go through a series of levels of commitment. The first stage is called hang around. They will literally hand around with the club members so that they get to know each other. When this period is done and the guy decides that they want to join, they enter a period of time where they become a “prospective” member. When this phase begins, a “prospect” will sign the ownership of his motorcycle over to the club. This is done to make sure that the person will keep their focus on the club business, if they fail at this stage, the club keeps the bike. The prospect has decided to leave the old life that he once knew to begin a new life in the club.
The shift in focus is profound.
Paul tells us, in the book of Ephesians, that we are to have a profound shift in focus as we contemplate our new life in Jesus.

17 So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do, in the futility of their thinking.
18 They are darkened in their understanding and separated from the life of God because of the ignorance that is in them due to the hardening of their hearts.

I do truly dislike being reminded of how hard my heart is. It is something that I do not want to look at. I'm not that old guy any more, living in darkness and calling it light.
I've changed!
Haven't I?

19 Having lost all sensitivity, they have given themselves over to sensuality so as to indulge in every kind of impurity, with a continual lust for more.
20 You, however, did not come to know Christ that way.
21 Surely you heard of him and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus.

Yeah. I had heard of Jesus. I even told people that I believed in him while I remained in my old lifestyle. Not only was my heart hard, it was as black as black can be, not only telling lies to everybody I saw, but to myself as well.
I knew I needed to change my focus to where it should belong.

22 You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires;
23 to be made new in the attitude of your minds;
24 and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.


When I decided to follow Christ for real.
When I stopped hanging around in a church.
When I got serious about changing my life, I not only signed over my bike to God, I gave Him my entire life.
By doing this, it has helped me to keep my eyes on the Lord. And, it has caused me to soften my hard heart, and , even clean it up a little.

No comments: