Wednesday, July 22, 2009

IT AIN'T EASY BEING A PROPHET.

Isaiah 42


I'm going to steal a little from Our Daily Bread.

A man told his doctor that he thought his wife was going deaf. The doctor told him to conduct a simple test. When the man reached the front door of his home, he called out, “Darling, is dinner ready?” Hearing no response, he walked inside and repeated himself. Still no reply. On the third try, when he was just behind her, he finally heard her say, “For the third time, yes!”
Similarly, the ancient Israelites thought God was deaf when the problem was actually with them.

1 "Take a good look at my servant. I’m backing him to the hilt. He’s the one I chose, and I couldn’t be more pleased with him. I’ve bathed him with my Spirit, my life. He’ll set everything right among the nations.
2 He won’t call attention to what he does with loud speeches or gaudy parades.
3 He won’t brush aside the bruised and the hurt and he won’t disregard the small and insignificant, but he’ll steadily and firmly set things right.
4 He won’t tire out and quit. He won’t be stopped until he’s finished his work—to set things right on earth. Far-flung ocean islands wait expectantly for his teaching."

You'd think that after hearing that, the Hebrew people would have listened. But, as I said, being a prophet of God ain't easy.
I've heard it said that the book of Isaiah is the Bible within the Bible. The Bible has 66 books, Isaiah has 66 chapters. The Bible takes from the beginning through the Messiah all the way to the end of time. Isaiah looks back to the beginning and prophesy's the of the Messiah and the end times.
In this chapter we read about the message that God is trying to give to His people, but, it seems like they ain't listenin'.

6 "I am GOD. I have called you to live right and well. I have taken responsibility for you, kept you safe. I have set you among my people to bind them to me, and provided you as a lighthouse to the nations,
7 To make a start at bringing people into the open, into light: opening blind eyes, releasing prisoners from dungeons, emptying the dark prisons.
8 I am GOD. That’s my name. I don’t franchise my glory, don’t endorse the no-god idols.
9 Take note: The earlier predictions of judgment have been fulfilled. I’m announcing the new salvation work. Before it bursts on the scene, I’m telling you all about it."

Once again, you'd think the people would have heard that one.
We know that, then as it is today, people turn a deaf ear to the message of God's good news. It's easy to hear, simple to read about, and maybe that's why the word is ignored.
I know that I went through a phase in my foolish days, my B.C. Days as it were, that when looking for inner peace, I drifted towards practices that were very complex with their various gods and rituals, and tree hugging. After a while, all that seemed empty. When I was first told of Jesus and salvation, all I could say to myself was, “It can't be that easy.” There has to be more to it.
I was deaf, dumb, and blind. Just like everyone else I knew.

16 But I’ll take the hand of those who don’t know the way, who can’t see where they’re going. I’ll be a personal guide to them, directing them through unknown country. I’ll be right there to show them what roads to take, make sure they don’t fall into the ditch. These are the things I’ll be doing for them—sticking with them, not leaving them for a minute."
17 But those who invested in the no-gods are bankrupt—dead broke.
18 ¶ Pay attention! Are you deaf? Open your eyes! Are you blind?
19 You’re my servant, and you’re not looking! You’re my messenger, and you’re not listening! The very people I depended upon, servants of GOD, blind as a bat—willfully blind!
20 You’ve seen a lot, but looked at nothing. You’ve heard everything, but listened to nothing.
23 But is anyone out there listening? Is anyone paying attention to what’s coming?
25 Isn’t it God’s anger that’s behind all this, God’s punishing power? Their whole world collapsed but they still didn’t get it; their life is in ruins but they don’t take it to heart.

I'm scripture heavy and opinion light on this one, but I felt that the word should take precedent on this subject. And yeah, I probably should just copy and pasted the chapter onto the page and let the word just sink in. that would have been the best course. But I felt compelled to add my own two cents.
I hope you didn't mind.

No comments: