Wednesday, July 29, 2009

GOIN' HOME

Psalm 73: 21 – 28


I love to travel by car. All I need is my faithful Rand McNally, a good radio, and a tank of gas. I've seen a lot of cool stuff along the roads I traveled. I saw the worlds largest rocking chair, the largest truck stop ever built, Pedro's South of the Border, and in South Dakota, it seems as if every exit off the highway has an attraction that has at least one piece of movie memorabilia from Dances with Wolves.
It doesn't matter how long, or how far I travel, I know when it is time to head home. The way home always seems to be too long. I get an anxious feeling hoping that my exit on the highway is going to be the next one. I can't wait to get there. The closer I get to home, the better I feel. When I finally pull into my driveway, I take a deep breath, relax, and with a smile on my face, walk through the door into my home.
I'm home, and it feels so good.

23 Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand.
24 You guide me with your counsel, and afterwards you will take me into glory.
25 Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.
26 My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion for ever.
28 But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign LORD my refuge; I will tell of all your deeds.

I think that Asaph is writing about goin' home here.
He talks about the comfort that he gets from God, and that here on earth, there is nothing for him.
He's having all kinds of experiences and is living life, but Asaph knows where home really is.
When I'm on the road, when ever I am at a coffee counter at some diner or truck stop, some one will hear my accent and say to me, “You're not from around here are you?” There is the opening I have been looking for to start up a conversation. I say, “No, I'm not,” then I tell them of the place I call home and how great and comfortable it is to be there.
I do the same here on earth. When I get the chance, I tell people how great and comfortable it will be to go home, what a wonderful place it is, and how cool it is to be with God.

No comments: