Thursday, October 15, 2009

CONFLICT RESOLUTION DAY?

Philippians 4: 1 – 9



Nobody was more surprised than me to read about this weird holiday that I was this morning.
Ever hear of it?

Today is observed in many countries as International Conflict Resolution Day. Its purpose is to encourage people to use mediation and arbitration rather than the legal system to settle their differences. Because we as followers of Christ are not immune to conflict, we need to learn how to resolve our disagreements in ways that honor the Lord.
It has been said that “church fights are the worst fights,” perhaps because they break out among people who profess to believe in unity and love. Many Christians have been so hurt by a fellow believer that they walk away from the church and never return. (ODB)

I guess that's why God saw fit to have Paul write the letter to the church at Philippi. The conditions were ripe for an example of working things out within the church body with prayer and meditation.

1 Therefore, my brothers, you whom I love and long for, my joy and crown, that is how you should stand firm in the Lord, dear friends!
2 I plead with Euodia and I plead with Syntyche to agree with each other in the Lord.
3 Yes, and I ask you, loyal yokefellow, help these women who have contended at my side in the cause of the gospel, along with Clement and the rest of my fellow-workers, whose names are in the book of life.
5 Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.
7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

If we are found to be in conflict, here is an example of how we are to get out of it.
HAPPY CONFLICT RESOLUTION DAY!


I love you guys.

No comments: