Saturday, October 17, 2009

THAT'S A TOUGH ACT TO FOLLOW.

Joshua 1: 1 – 9



Rice had to follow Yaz. Yaz had to follow Williams. Somebody had to follow DiMaggio and Ruth. And so it goes. Each new guy had a lot to live up to. They had to work harder than their predecessors just to come in a close second until they were finally able to creep out of the shadow of the legend they followed.
I'm sure that during their early days replacing the known hero, the replacement was given encouragement from the Team owner and manager.
When we take the lead whether it's at work, in church, or with our families, we all are in need of time and encouragement to get through those early adjustment days.

1 After the death of Moses the servant of the LORD, the LORD said to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ assistant:
2 "Moses my servant is dead. Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them—to the Israelites.
3 I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses.
5 No-one will be able to stand up against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you.
6 "Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their forefathers to give them.

If we think we have it hard, imagine what it must have been like for Joshua taking over after Moses died.
Talk about following in the footsteps of a hero.
But, God knows what He is doing when He chooses a leader.

9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go."

With encouragement like that, how can we fail? How can we not gain the trust of those who follow our lead?
Listen to God's command. He knows what He's doing.
Follow His commands.

No comments: